The Legend of the City of Centerville
The 1847 map of Houston County shows the settlement of BUSBY, where the modern City of Centerville now stands. The history states that this area has also been known as LaVilla, Gunn, Dunbar, and Toy at various times.
It has been an area designated the Upper Fifth Land District for at least as far back as 1847.
Daniel Gunn had a General Store on the Perry-Macon Road. He had received a land grant for his services in the Revolutionary War. Other family names associated with the original settlers are: Bass, Dorsett, Sledge, Todd, Howard, Clark, Costello, Kemp, Bateman, Garvin, Kersey, Stalnaker, Sullivan, White, Stembridge, and Scarborough.
An 1882 map shows the town as Busbayville. The area map of 1888 shows it as Centerville. We can assume that the present name was adopted at some point between 1882 and 1888. Centerville owes its name to its location, which is halfway between Byron and Wellston: halfway between Macon and Perry.
Around 1900, the citizens applied for a local Post Office. Postal authorities required a different name for the town since there was already a Centerville Post Office in Gwinnett County. So they changed the name to HATTIE in honor of the daughter of Mitchell F. Etheridge, a State Representative. After a few years, the Post Office was moved to Byron, and Hattie was once again named Centerville.
The City of Centerville was incorporated under a charter issued March 25, 1958 by the General Assembly of the State of Georgia. The City of Centerville is probably one of the youngest cities in the State of Georgia.
Superior Court Judge A.M. Anderson swore in Sherrill Stafford as Mayor: Mark Mathews, Earl Sims, Ira Garvin, and Paul Stalnaker as councilmen.
According to the 1960 census, Centerville’s first official population count was 290. The 2010 Census counted Centerville’s population at 7,148.